September 28, 2012

Finally Home!

Jared finally got released to come home on November 1st.  His stay at the rehab center was quicker than they had expected.  I was so glad to have him home.  The daily travels were getting exhausting!  But I definitely felt incapable of his care.  The nurse started giving me all of the information about his medications, and I was about to have a nervous breakdown!  He was on so many medications - some were 4 times a day, some 3 times a day, some only twice, and some were only once a day.  I had to wake up in the middle of the night for some of them, some were to be taken with food, some without.  He also had two shots in his stomach every day.  It was a bit overwhelming!  I put all of them in a container and colored the tops of the lids with different colors, then made a chart for the times of day, and everything was color-coded.  Within a few days, I felt like an expert!

Jared came home walking with a cane.  This was two weeks after the jerk had told him he'd never walk again.  We were worried about the noise level with the kids, but he did okay.  We just had to try to keep things as mellow as possible.

We learned quickly the downfalls to him being unstable.  A few days after he came home he rolled over and just lost his balance and fell off the bed, smacking the side of his head on the end table.  He split his ear open and had to go get stitches.  I had to drop him off, go pick up the kids from school and take Brynlee to dance, go pick up Jared from the doctor's, then go back and get Brynlee.  When I dropped off Jared, he told how humiliated he was to hobble into the Instacare with a split ear!

But overall, his recovery was going quite well.  I was amazed how quickly he was getting his strength back.  He had started to lifts small weights and biked on an exercise bike every day, and was seeing daily improvement.