November 13, 2012

Mediocrity

Sad that I constantly find myself wishing for a mediocre life.  And today I got a piece of mediocrity, but it wasn't quite what I was hoping for.
 
Jared had another MRI last night.  He had an appointment this morning to review the slides with the doctor.  He was one of the first appointments of the day, yet he still had to wait TWO HOURS to meet with the doctor!  (Definitely my biggest complaint with Jared's oncologist.  I would say he's a wonderful doctor if he could keep a schedule!!!)  The P.A. came in first and told him that he was going to be frank with him.  There was a spot on the MRI that was growing.
 
After a little while, the oncologist finally came to review the MRI.  The doctor was much more optimistic.  He scrolled through this MRI compared to the last MRI.  As the P.A. had stated, there was a spot that was bigger, but the doctor was pretty confident that the growth was caused by the slides being slightly off from the last MRI, making it appear to be larger.  He wants to do another MRI in three weeks just to be safe.  And as luck would have it, the next appointment just happens to be on my birthday!
 
So this year I would've just hoped for a mediocre birthday.  But we seem to live life in extremes these days.  So this will either be the best birthday ever, or the worst.  And I just read a blog a few weeks ago where a girl my age with cancer was actually expecting to get good news on her birthday, but instead found out that her cancer had spread dramatically.  So unfortunately, I know that birthdays aren't a "free pass."
 
I was really hoping to have a stress-free holiday season to make up for last year.  I guess that just wasn't in the cards for us this year, either!