January 7, 2014

Treasure

One of my favorite movies of all time is "The Count of Monte Cristo."  Edmond Dantes spends years in prison for a crime he didn't commit, and after finally escaping he discovers a hidden treasure and has wealth beyond his wildest dreams.
 
I found my own little hidden treasure last night, only this one is priceless!
 
I had been told by several people that Jared needed to sit down and write letters to his children.  That was always in the plan.  But it didn't happen.  We thought he had more time.  We didn't know he would suddenly lose his ability to communicate.  So many excuses, but unfortunately it didn't happen.  And I've always regretted that.  I wish my kids had something written by their dad to know how much he loved them.  I obviously know how much he loved them, but that won't go very far 2, 10, 30 years from now...
 
Yesterday I was going to get rid of Jared's phone.  For some reason as I went to leave, I went to grab his phone, and I didn't. 
 
As a little side note, I've read a few near-death experience books lately, and they all say the same thing - that those on the other side have a lot more influence in our lives than we realize.  I've had a lot of CRAZY things happen since Jared's passing.  I've even made the comment that I feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.  I'm no longer a believer in chance.  And I don't believe that me not grabbing that phone to get rid of it was just chance.
 
Last night I was talking on the phone with my sister, and at the end of the conversation she mentioned something that her daughter had snapped a picture of off of Jared's phone.  It was a little note he had written to Averie.  I had NO IDEA.  I grabbed his phone and went to his notes, and sure enough, there was a letter he had started to write to Averie.  This is part of it:
 
"Averie,
My sweet sweet girl.  You are so precious and cute.  How I enjoy your sweet spirit...You are always into everything, with a motor that won't quit.  I love it.  Please follow the good example that your older brothers and sister have set for you.  You are loved!  I know you will grow up to be a real contributor to society.  Love your mommy.  She wants nothing but the best for you.  She loves you very much.  I love you too."
 
When did he write this?  Why did he stop with Averie?  Or why did he start with Averie?  Did he suddenly take a turn for the worse?  Or did he write others that got deleted by mistake?  Did he start with her because she is the one that will need this most?  Or is it because she is the one that will remember her daddy the least?
 
Whatever the reasons, one thing I know for certain is that this little note written from her daddy will be something Averie will treasure forever.