October 15, 2012

Anniversary

October 15th will forever mark the anniversary of Jared's diagnosis with cancer.  We will always remember this day as being the day our lives got turned upside-down.  So today, on the first anniversary, I wanted to focus on the positives.  I told Jared to make a list of ways his life has been changed for the better this past year, and I did the same.
 
Here's my list:
  • My marriage is stronger than ever.
  • My appreciation and admiration for Jared has grown immensely.  He has handled his trial like a champ!  I know it kills him not to be able to do things he could do a year ago, especially sports.  Sports were his life.  Yet he doesn't complain.  He works hard and tries to get better.
  • My appreciation for those around my family has grown.  I'm always amazed at the generosity and kindness of others.
  • I appreciate life more.  I try to enjoy "moments" with my family.
  • I see more of a "bigger picture" in regards to my life.
  • I have a greater dependence on the Lord and realize that my life is completely and totally in His hands.
  • I appreciate little things more.  When I run up a flight of stairs and look back as Jared struggles to get up them, I am grateful and humbled.
  • I focus more on things that matter, and care less about things that don't matter - I don't get as caught up in the "drama" of others' lives.  I realize the lack of importance.
  • When Jared used to travel, I couldn't sleep at night.  I would get scared and had to start drugging myself to get a good night's sleep.  Now when he travels, I can sleep!!
And here's Jared's list:
  • I feel closer to the Savior than ever before, save a few mission experiences.
  • I try to live more for the moment, enjoying the journey.
  • I feel a greater closeness and appreciation for my family
  • I have really had to rely on my wife for physical, emotional, and spiritual support.  I have learned that she is very caring, hard-working, and truly loves me.  For this, I will always be grateful.
  • I have learned that Heavenly Father loves me.
  • I honestly feel more blessed than I have at any other point in my life.  I have been blessed a tremendous amount and I am glad to have recognized this.
  • I realize that the Lord knows my wife and I intimately.  He has helped us several times when we felt a little down by presenting uplifting stories, videos, scriptures, talks, and other things to lift up our spirits.
  • I've learned to watch what you ask for.  The Lord hears and answers prayers, and He knows what's best for us.