October 1, 2012

The Importance of Support

Our story would most definitely be incomplete without mentioning the overwhelming support we've had.  I could not have made it through this past year without help and support.  We have been very blessed with good families, friends, neighbors, co-workers, extended families - I could go on an on. 
 
We are fortunate to both have close families.  They have been incredible!  And I can't start mentioning particular things, or I'm sure to miss something, but I do have to mention that Jared's family all came to be with him those first weeks in the hospital.  He had two siblings that flew in from Oregon, and his dad and his wife got permission to come home from their mission for a few days to help out and be with him.  We got in trouble one night because of all the family members visiting him!  The limit was 3 visitors, and we had 14 people cramped in the room!  But nobody wanted to leave.
 
His family organized a schedule to help take him to treatments.  I only had to take him once or occasionally twice a week, which lifted my load tremendously!  They've cleaned my house, made meals, changed schedules to accomodate our needs, phone calls of concern and support, I could go on and on - I will always remember and appreciate everything they've done to help.  This has been particularly hard on them to have their mom pass away from Glioblastoma, and to now have their brother with the same cancer.  Their situation would make most people bitter, but I've never seen any bitterness from any of them.  And I'm sure Jared's mom wishes she could be here.  But knowing Linda, she wouldn't have ever left his side!  And who knows - she probably doesn't!
 
My family has also been unbelievable.  From their acts of love and support, I can see that their love for Jared is more of a love for a brother or son than an in-law.  I do have to give particular mention to my mom.  Bill was very hesitant to go back to Hawaii.  My mom told him to go and serve his mission, and assured him that Jared would now be her mission.  And he has been.  Jared's sister, Julee, told me that she hopes to one day be the mom to her adult children that my mom has been for us.  I think that sums it up.

There has been much prayer and fasting on our behalf, many from other faiths as well.  Our neighborhood held an organized fast, and Jared had a big group from back home (Oregon) that held a fast. I, too, had high school friends that organized a fast on our behalf.  My extended family organized a fast, and his family has fasted on many occasions.  The power of prayer is undeniable.  When I look back to those first few weeks, I'm amazed at how well I held up.  It had to be the prayers.  And we've certainly witnessed many miracles already.

We've both been amazed at the generosity and concern from others.  There have been packages for the kids, cards, gift cards, yard work done, anonymous packages or money left on the doorstep, meals, flowers, visits, emails, the list goes on and on.

His co-workers have also made huge sacrifices.  They've given rides to or from work and they've donated leave of absence.

I get very emotional writing or thinking about our support.  I hope it is some indication of the gratitude I feel that can't possibly ever be fully expressed.